Sunday, October 17, 2010

So...what does the title of your blog mean?

I guess I have left you hanging long enough wondering what in the world does the title of this blog mean.  In fact, I have probably left you hanging for far too long.  I had intended to get back to blogging in just a few days, but I did not count on 2 employees at the library getting sick, conflicts between Windows 7 and several State of Georgia agency websites, open enrollment for the employee health care plan and the library's annual report.  Believe me, all those obstacles have not been overcome, but I decided to post a short blog before everyone (including me) loses interest.  So...back to the title of the blog.  Back in the late 1980's, a singer/songwriter named Mary Chapin Carpenter hit the charts with several very catchy songs.  Billed as a country singer, but sounding more like a folk singer, Carpenter was named the 1992 & 1993 Female Vocalist of the Year by the Country Music Association.  Her biggest hits included "Shut up & Kiss Me", "Passionate Kisses", "I Feel Lucky", "Down at the Twist & Shout", and the song from which the name of my blog came, "The Bug".  This song is about the ups and downs we encounter in life.  Sometimes we are on top of the world and then we fall to the depths of the valley.  As Mary Chapin Carpenter puts it "...sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes you're the bug."  Since my life has taken lots of unexpected twists and turns in the last five years, I thought that this philosophy would be a great title for my blog.  However, not to leave you with gloom and doom, here are the rest of the lyrics:
"You gotta know happy - you gotta know glad
Cause you're gonna know lonely and you're gonna know sad.
One day you got the glory and then you got none
One day you're a diamond and then you're a stone
Everything can change in the blink of an eye
So let the good times roll before we say goodbye."

No comments:

Post a Comment