Saturday, January 12, 2013

40 winks

I have found another perk of retirement...afternoon naps!  I found this out quite by accident.  I had been working all day making cookies, taking Sweetie Pie to the vet for her final shots, doing laundry and scanning some photos.  By 3:00 this afternoon, I had finished all of my chores and decided to relax in my easy chair and do some reading.  I am reading a book by one of my favorite authors; Jan Karon.  She left a career in advertising to write books.  Her most famous series is the Mitford series.  Father Tim Cavanaugh is the main character in this delightful series that takes place in the fictional town of Mitford.  Shepherds Abiding is a wonderful Christmas story.  I started it long before Christmas, but the rush of the season prohibited me from reading as I should.  So, on this balmy January afternoon, I decided to catch up.  About 10 pages into the book, I found myself so relaxed that I fell asleep.  Approximately an hour later, I awoke to the dogs and my book in my lap.  I didn't get much reading done, but I felt very refreshed and ready for more work.  I remembered that Bert Harsh, Vice-President at Riverside Manufacturing, Library Board Chairman and good friend, used to take about an hour nap after lunch when he retired.  I now understand why he did.  I'm not sure if it will be an every afternoon occurrence, but it certainly wouldn't bother me if it turned out that way.  I can't wait until spring so I can relax in my rope hammock while I nap.



No comments:

Post a Comment