Tuesday, January 15, 2013

California Here I Come...

I seem to remember a song from my childhood called California Here I Come.  The lyrics are:

California, Here I Come
Right back where I started from
where bowers of flowers
bloom in the spring
each morning at dawning
birdies sing at everything
a sunkissed miss said, "Don't be late!"
that's why I can hardly wait
open up that golden gate
California, Here I Come

I have been thinking about my blog from yesterday for most of today.  Anyone who knows me very well knows that I do not like exercise.  Oh, I love to get out in the yard and dig in the dirt, pull weeds, trim shrubs and plant flowers.  I even like to do things like painting walls, moving furniture, pressure washing the porch, and washing the car.  However, I do not like organized physical activity, such as sit-ups, squats, running, or deep knee bends!  So when I announced to the world last night (well, at least to a few friends who follow my blog) that I was going to be riding my stationery bike, it didn't dawn on me that I really have to keep this exercise thing going...probably for the rest of my life if I continue to try out home-made bread recipes!  I jokingly wondered how long it would take me to pedal to California.  As I thought about that today, several things connected in my mind.  One of my dream trips has always been to fly to San Francisco, rent a convertible and drive down the coast highway to Monterey.  


I happened to mention this dream to my brother a couple of months ago.  He & his wife have traveled the world and he told me that was one of his favorite trips.  He suggested we plan to make the trip next January so we could see the Elephant seals in Big Sur.  I said, "Sure."  I should know not to mention anything, however casually, to my big brother.  Today, he called me and related his idea for our trip to San Francisco, Monterey and Yosemite!  So...California, Here I Come!  And just to make my bike riding a little more interesting, I have decided to keep track of my mileage and see if I can pedal to San Francisco by next January.  I will keep you up-to-date on my mileage and when I pass through interesting areas, I'll post information and photos.  It should be loads of fun.  Anyone want to join me?


1 comment:

  1. This does sound like fun! I don't have a stationary bike, but I need to be walking more!

    ReplyDelete